Friday, November 15, 2019

Ask A Specialist

Please mail your questions to:
Ask a COA Specialist
Isabella County Commission on Aging
2200 S. Lincoln Rd
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858

Contact Information:

Ph: (989) 772-0748 ext. 236
Fx: (989) 773-0514

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I'm behind on my heat bill, is there a program to help?

Question:  Heating my home has become a financial strain.  I often wonder if I will have enough money to purchase propane all winter.  If I do get behind in payments, are there programs that offer assistance?

Answer: If you find yourself in need of assistance, one of the first things you should do is contact your utility company.  Most of them already have programs in place to help customers in need, and they can help you establish a manageable budget plan to stop your utilities from being shut off.  In addition, there are numerous public and private programs available for Isabella County residents.  These programs may help with financial assistance towards your bill or energy savings tips that may lower your heating expenses. 

Please contact the following organizations for more information on how to apply:


My parent is forgetting to take their medications sometimes, what can I do to help?

Question:  I’ve noticed that my mother appears to have some difficulty taking her medications. She currently uses a medication box and some of her prescriptions from earlier in the week are still in the container. She appears to be forgetting to take her medications.  What can I do to assist?

Answer: There are many reasons your mother may not be taking her prescriptions.  Problems might occur due to cognitive impairments such as Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia. She may be having difficulty affording the medications or could be experiencing negative side effects, such as a stomach ailment. There could be a multitude of reasons for why she has not taken the medication as directed.


Page 1 of 10