Date and time: Sunday, October 26, 2014 at approximately 9:34 a.m.
Location: The crash occurred on W. Remus Rd. (M-20), just west of Vandecar Rd., Deerfield Township, Isabella County.
- 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo driven by Joe Balknight, 19 years old from Big Rapids, MI
- 2004 Pontiac Grand Am driven by Chelsea Smith, 24 years old from Stanton, MI
- 2010 Mercury Milan driven by Jessica Kohn, 43 years old from Caledonia, MI
- 2010 GMC Acadia driven by Nyles Billips, 41 years old from Caledonia, MI
- 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe driven by Erin Gravelyn, 47 years old from Grand Rapids, MI
Injuries: Joe Balknight and his passenger, Delano Brown were flown to Covenant Hospital and St. Mary’s in Saginaw. Balknight was flown from the crash scene and Brown was flown from McLaren-Central Michigan. Both individuals sustained suspected head injuries. The back seat passenger in Balknight’s car was taken by MMR to McLaren-Central Michigan for pain and precautionary measures.
Was alcohol a factor in the accident: It does not appear to be at this time.
Restraints used: Restraints were used.
Assisted by: The Isabella County Sheriff’s Department was assisted at the scene by Deerfield Fire Department, Michigan State Police, Fremont Township Rescue, Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Police, MMR and LifeNet.
The accident remains under investigation by the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department.