Below is a list of some of the most requested recording requirements for the State of Michigan.
For the complete list and search capabilities see the Michigan Legislature Website.
- Signatures must be original and names must be typed, stamped, or printed beneath all written signatures. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (a)(e)
- No discrepancy in the names shall exist between the printed names of such person, as appears either in the body of the instrument, the signature, the acknowledgement, or jurat. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (b)
- The addresses of all parties must appear on any instrument by which title to any interest therein is conveyed, assigned, encumbered, or otherwise disposed of. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201A, 565.203
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan must be acknowledged by a notary public. MCLA 565.8
- A certified copy of the death certificate or proof of death must be recorded as a separate document when the instrument of conveyance states “survivor” in the grantor’s section. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court to be eligible for recording. MCLA 565.401, 565.411
- If a trust agreement accompanies an instrument, the trust agreement must be recorded as a separate document. P.A. #194 of 2018
- The documents submitted for recording must be legible. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(iv)
- Documents must have a margin of unprinted space at least 2 1/2 inches at the top of the 1st page and at least 1/2 inch on all remaining sides of the 1st page, on each additional page there must be a margin of 1/2 inch on all sides. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(i)
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(ii); 565.201 Sec. 3
- The type of the form must be printed with black ink and with type size of at least 10-point type. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(iii)(iv)
- The paper on which the document is printed must be white and not less than 20-pound weight. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (h)(iv)
- The size of the document and any attachment thereto must be at least 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches, and at most 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(v)(vi)
- If an instrument or any part of it is in a language other than English, a written English translation is attached to the instrument. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1 (h)
The statutory recording fees (per document) are as follows:
- $30.00 flat fee per document
- $3.00 for each additional liber & page listed (one is included at no charge)
Please include a self addressed stamped envelope for return of mailed documents.
Warranty Deeds – Land Contracts:
A tax certificate must be obtained from the County Treasurer’s Office prior to recording any of the following [MCLA211.135]:
- Warranty Deed
- Any Deed which contains a covenant of warranty
- Land Contract
- Assignment of Land Contract with warranty clause
- Master Deed for Condominium
Tax Certificates: [$5.00 for up to 5 descriptions; 20¢ per additional description over 5.] Checks payable to Isabella County Treasurer
Name Search Fee: 600.2567(e) For searching the records, on request, by the office of the register of deeds, 50 cents for each year for which grantor/grantee searches are made, with a minimum fee of $5.00. All copies requested from searches are subject to the statutory copy fee.