Isabella County has changed to four digit extensions. Please add a 1 to beginning of your party's extension.

Permit Process

Remember - before digging near your home or business, call Miss Dig at 1-800-482-7171.
200 N. Main Street Rm 105
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
Phone:(989) 317-4061
Fax:(989) 775-6681
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Except holidays

House number application

If your property does not currently have an address you can apply for one at the Community Development Department. You will need to have the correct property tax ID number along with the street name and direction for the parcel you need addressed. You will also need a measurement along the front property line from your closest side property line to your driveway. If the property has been recently split you will need to provide a copy of the split record showing the new legal description of the property and the tax ID number assigned to the split.

row of houses on a street
water flowing from pipe

Sewage disposal & water well application

These permits are required for all new dwellings and new commercial buildings. Existing sewage system evaluations are required for all bedroom additions to homes, all additions of any kind if the property is zoned Lake Residential and anytime you move a mobile or modular home. Sewage Disposal, Water Well and sewage system evaluation permits can be obtained from the Central Michigan District Health Department by calling 989-773-5921.

Soil Erosion

Soil Erosion permit may be required if you are building within 500′ of any body of water such as a lake, stream, river, creek, pond, county drain or if you are disturbing more than one acre of land. You can contact the Isabella County Community Development Office at 989-317-4061, for an evaluation and permit.

soil in hands
looking at map on computer


Zoning permits are required to be obtained prior to erecting, raising, moving, reconstructing, extending or enlarging any building, structure or part thereof. Zoning permits are also required prior to changing the use of a building, structure and/or land. To make application to the Isabella County Community Development Department you will need the following: correct property tax ID, legal description, address of property, septic approval (if applicable), soil erosion permit (if applicable), property owner signature, completed plot plan, township split approval (if applicable), and/or new deed (if applicable).


A building permit is required for any construction that physically changes or adds structure to your property. Some projects requiring building permits include, but are not limited to additions, decks, siding, reshingling, remodeling with structural changes, egress windows, sheds, garages, pole buildings, moving or demolishing a structure, temporary structures, signs, repair from fire and natural damages, and any change in the use of a structure. To make application to the Isabella County Inspections Office, you may need to submit the following documents: foundation plan, size of piers (if applicable), floor plans, typical wall section, location of smoke detectors, location of egress windows, completed copy of the energy code compliance sheet or ResCheck, sewage disposal and/or water well permit, zoning permit, and Soil Erosion Permit.

building a house
construction equipment

Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical

An electrical, mechanical, or plumbing permit is required anytime you install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, mechanical, or plumbing system

Certificate of Occupancy

A building or structure shall not be used or occupied until a certificate of occupancy has been issued by the Building Official. After all final inspections, including plumbing, electrical, mechanical and building have been completed and approved a request for Certificate of Occupancy must be submitted to the Building Official. The Certificate of Occupancy can be picked up at the Inspections Office or can be mailed to the permit holder. After the Certificate of Occupancy is issued the dwelling may then be occupied.

businessman signing document