Isabella County has changed to four digit extensions. Please add a 1 to beginning of your party's extension.

Administration & Enforcement

Remember - before digging near your home or business, call Miss Dig at 1-800-482-7171.
200 N. Main Street Rm 105
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
Phone:(989) 317-4061
Fax:(989) 775-6681
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Except holidays

Administration & Enforcement

Zoning permit applications may be submitted at the Isabella County Community Development Department Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Zoning permits are typically required for any building or structure even if it is temporary or movable, on skids or a foundation.

It is the responsibility of the Zoning administrator to review zoning permit applications for compliance with the Isabella County Zoning Ordinance and to enforce the zoning ordinance when violations exist.

Zoning permits can not be issued at the time of application.

Click on the Interactive Map link to view zoning information.

View the Interactive Map ›

The Zoning Administrator administers to and enforces the Isabella County Zoning Ordinance as amended (effective February 15, 1989).

Isabella County Zoning Jurisdiction

Isabella County currently has zoning jurisdiction in the following townships:


Administration & Enforcement FAQ

Zoning permits are needed for:

  • New construction
  • Changing the use of a building, structure and/or land
  • Erecting, raising, moving, reconstructing, extending or enlarging any building, structure or part thereof

If the property is located in a township under Isabella County’s zoning jurisdiction the Isabella County Community Development Office issues the zoning permit. This office is located on the first floor of the Isabella County Building, 200 N. Main St., Room 105, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858., and is open Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

  • Correct property tax ID number
  • Correct legal description of the property
  • Correct address of the property
  • Well and Septic approval (when applicable)
  • Soil Erosion evaluation (when applicable)
  • Property owners signature
  • Completed plot plan
  • Copy of township split approval (when applicable)
  • Copy of new deed (when applicable)
  • North arrow
  • All property lines with dimensions
  • Proposed streets, walks and drives
  • All existing and proposed building sizes
  • Distance from side and rear property lines to all existing and proposed buildings
  • Distance from the front property lines, as measured from the edge of the road right of way
  • Distance from proposed construction to existing buildings on site
  • Height of all proposed buildings
  • Property owners signature

Procedures can vary depending on each circumstance. Contact the Isabella County Zoning Administrator by phone at (989) 317-4067 or at the Isabella County Building, 200 N. Main St., Room 105, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858., Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.

Zoning permits are not required for residential accessory buildings or structures 200 square feet or less. However you are required to still maintain the district front, side and rear setback requirements.

Setbacks are the distance a building or structure is required to be from the property lines. Setbacks vary depending on Zoning District. Contact the Zoning Administrator for individual property requirements.

The Isabella County Zoning Ordinance does not prohibit single wide manufactured homes. However, the zoning ordinance does have minimum dwelling width requirements for each zoning district. Manufactured homes built prior to 1976 are not permitted. You must submit a title for the home to guarantee its age.

Please see the County’s zoning maps or the County’s interactive web viewer for zoning district information.

To report a violation, a written complaint must be submitted.  You can contact the Community Development Department and request a complaint form or download one from this page. You must provide complete information requested on the complaint form.

Zoning Permit Application$50.00
Variance Application$175.00
Home Occupation Permit Application$50.00
Rezoning Application$325.00
Administrative Site Plan Review$75.00
Planning Commission Site Plan Review$125.00
Special Use Permits Application$175.00
Temporary Zoning Permit Application$50.00
Variance Application$175.00